Provincial offences are non criminal offenses that come under different Ontario legislation.

These offences include:

  • Speeding, careless driving, or not wearing your seat belt (Highway Traffic Act)
  • Failing to surrender your insurance card or possessing a false or invalid insurance card  (Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act)
  • Being intoxicated in a public place or selling alcohol to a minor (Liquor Licence Act)
  • Entering prohibited premises or failing to leave premises after being directed to do so (Trespass to Property Act)
  • Occupational Health and Safety Act and Ministry of Environment violations
  • Noise, parking and animal care bylaws (Municipal bylaws)


If you get a ticket, read it carefully so you know what you’re being charged with and you can move forward with the action you choose. View ticket options here. Most provincial offences charges result in out-of-court fine payments.


Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Cases:

This Guide provides defendants with general information about the court process for provincial offences cases. It does not cover every circumstance that might arise in your case.

Download the PDF version here.


Why are the different payment amounts on my ticket?

The first amount is the set fine, or how much you’re being charged for the offence so you don’t have to appear in court. Your total payable amount is the set fine, plus court costs and the victim fine surcharge.


What is the victim fine surcharge?

A victim fine surcharge (VFS) is added to every fine under the Provincial Offences Act. The money goes to a fund that assists victims of crime. (The amount is usually around 15 % of the fine.)


What happens if I don't pay my fine in full?

If you don’t pay your fine in full you might be convicted of the offence. This means you will have to pay the set fine (including court costs and the VFS) by the new due date. If the fine is still not paid upon conviction by the due date you could:

  • Be unable to get or update a vehicle permit
  • Have your driver's licence suspended
  • Pay an additional administrative fee of $40.00
  • Have the unpaid fine reported to a credit bureau
  • Have to pay collection Agency fees


What if I need more time to pay a provincial offences fine?

You can apply for an Extension of Time to Pay If you are unable to pay the fine in full within the time prescribed. Complete the form at Provincial Offences Court office. A Justice of the Peace  will then grant or deny your application.


Why has my driver’s licence been suspended?

If your fine is not paid within the time prescribed, your licence may be suspended (The Ministry of Transportation may notify you of the suspension by mail). A $40.00 charge will be added to the fine in the event of a suspension.


How do I get my driver’s licence back?

You can get your licence back when you:

  • Pay all of your outstanding fines that are suspending your licence.
  • Pay a $275 reinstatement fee to the Ministry of Transportation.


It could take three to four business days for the suspension order to be lifted after you pay your fines. Make sure your licence is valid before driving: check with the Ministry of Transportation.


How do I request disclosure?

To request for disclosure you must have already been given an early resolution or trial date. You can fill out the Request for Disclosure form here or you can download the PDF here and send it by email or by fax to the Court Officer at 613.354.3608. 


I want to appeal the outcome of my trial.

Appeal documents can be obtained at the Ontario Court of Justice or your local Provincial Offences court office.  File your appeal within 30 days of your conviction for Parts I, II and III. You will still need to pay the fine to the Provincial Offences court. You may also have to order a transcript of the proceedings. File your paperwork with the Ontario Court of Justice office. If it’s accepted you will receive a time and date for your appeal trial. If you need more help with your appeal process get in touch with the Ontario Court of Justice at:

41 Dundas Street, West
Napanee, ON
K7R 1Z5


If you have a concern regarding the Provincial Offences administration.

You can submit your concern - about Provincial Offences administration services, the Justice of the Peace or the prosecution of your case - in writing.

The addresses are listed here:

County of Lennox & Addington,
Manager, Financial Services and Provincial Offences

97 Thomas Street East
Napanee, Ontario K7R 4B9

or phone: 613-354-1672

or submit by email.


If the concern relating to the Justice of the Peace, please send in writing to:

The Justice of the Peace Review Council
P.O. Box 914

31 Adelaide Street Postal Station
Toronto, Ontario
M5C 2K3


If you have a concern relating to the prosecution of your case (legal), please contact the Crown Attorney in writing:

Crown Attorney
41 Dundas Street West

Napanee, ON K7R 1Z5