Start your child care fee subsidy application now, call 613-354-0957 or toll free 866-354-0957 (within the 613 area code) for the fastest access to help with covering the costs of licensed child care and approved recreation programs for children up to age 12.  

New immigrant or a new resident to Canada? Yes, you can apply by phone before you have to file your first tax return, with supporting documentation.

Are you eligible for the Child Care Fee Subsidy? Parents or Guardians must:

  1. Live in Prince Edward or Lennox and Addington County.
  2. Be the parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 years.
  3. Be employed, in school or in an approved training program.  
  4. If you or your child has a documented special need, you may qualify for fee subsidy.  We require written documentation of the special need from your doctor, resource consultant, or another professional who has an ongoing involvement with your family. Your doctor or other professional will have to complete a social medical form.
  5. Be in financial need. Financial need is determined through an income test using either:
  • Your Family Income from the Canada Child Tax Benefit Statement.
  • Your Net Income (line 236) on the Income Tax Notice Assessment/Notice of Reassessment.

To see if you might be eligible, try our Child Care Fee Subsidy Calculator.


5 steps to apply for the Child Care Fee Subsidy (you must complete before your eligibility is determined)

  1. Decide which licensed child care program you want your child(ren) to attend.
  2. Contact the licensed child care program to confirm there is space available for your child(ren).
  3. Contact our Application Unit (Once you have confirmed your space) to complete your application by calling 613-354-0957 or 1-866-354-0957 (within the 613 area code).  
  4. Answer a few questions about your family and financial situation. Please have a copy of your most recent Notice of Assessment (NOA) or your Canada Child Tax Benefit Notice (CCTB) from Revenue Canada handy. If you have misplaced these documents please contact the Canada Revenue Agency 1-800-387-1193 to get a copy.
  5. Other Documents You May Need to Provide to Complete the Application Process
  • Verification of accommodation: rent receipt or property tax notice that shows you live in the Prince Edward or Lennox & Addington coverage area.
  • 2 recent, consecutive pay stubs or letter from employer as employment and schedule verification.
  • School schedule or letter from educational institution as schedule verification.
  • Court Documentation or verification of Custody (if applicable).
  • Social Medical referral (where appropriate).
  • Ontario Works Participation Agreement (where appropriate).

All required forms will be mailed to you and must be submitted to Children's Services.


What Happens After I Submit all the Required Information to Children's Services.

Once all the information is reviewed you will receive a letter confirming whether you are eligible, and if so, how much Prince Edward Lennox and Addington Social Services will pay directly to the Child Care Provider, and how much you will be required to pay. A copy of the letter will be sent to the Child Care Program.

IMPORTANT: Subsidy cannot be backdated.

If you have arranged your own child care and your child is currently in a child care program, you are responsible for paying the full cost of care until subsidy is approved by Children's Services and you have received an approval letter.


If the child care or approved recreation program is not within walking distance, you may qualify for help with the cost of transportation. To find out if you are eligible for transportation funding please call 613.354.0957 or toll free at 1.866.354.0957 (within the 613 area code).