June 11, 2019 - On Saturday, June 8, 2019 a fire occurred at 113 West Mary Street, Picton around noon. This building is operated by Prince Edward Lennox & Addington Social Services (PELASS). The fire alarm system was activated and the fire department was on scene quickly.  

The fire was contained to the north east end of the building where there is extensive damage.  Thirteen units were affected but there were no injuries to tenants, their guests or pets. 

Thirteen households had to find short term alternative housing for Saturday and Sunday and those that were not displaced were able to return to their units at approximately 8:30pm Saturday evening.

As of Monday evening, nine of the thirteen households have returned to their units. Two units were completely destroyed and will require rebuilding. The last two units require significant smoke remediation. All four households are currently working with PELASS staff to consider their options for housing. Only one unit affected was covered with tenant insurance.

Prince Edward County Fire Chief, Scott Manlow, reported that an overheated power bar located in a bedroom was the likely cause of the fire and damages are estimated at $250,000. 

Lennox and Addington County is extremely grateful to their staff in both the Property Services and PELASS departments who went above and beyond the call of duty assisting tenants during this emergency situation.

– 30 –

For more information, please contact:

Annette Keogh
Manager, Housing Services

Lynn Chenier
Director, Social Services