If you are driving on a County of Lennox and Addington road with a load exceeding the limits in the Highway Traffic Act, you must have an Over Dimension Load permit.
Excess Load Permitting Guidelines
HTA Legal Loading Dimensional Limits:
- Width = 2.60m (8’-6”)
- Height = 4.15m (13’-7”)
- Length = 23.00m (75’-5”)
Any vehicle and load combination on a County road in greater than the loading dimensions requires an Excess Load permit.
How to apply:
Apply and receive permit approvals for over dimension load use on County roads using our online portal. Please note, you will be required to register as a new user if you have not already done so.
The Oversize Load Permit Application process is now electronic! All applications are required to be submitted through our online Portal system.
We are dedicated to ensuring you have all the information required to make the process as smooth as possible. Before applying:
- Register is required to access the portal.
- Please note that the system will send you notices and confirmations through your email account. The sending address is: Permit Notifications email@example.com. Check your spam/junk folder if you are not receiving notices.
3. Ensure you have all required documents together to make a complete application package. Scroll through our checklists below.
- Full legal name of company, address, contact person, phone number and email address
- For agents representing transport companies: contact person, phone number and email address
- Transport date range
- Route map completed on-line as part of your application submission
4. Have questions? We can be reached Monday to Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We must review and approve all documentation before a permit is issued. Each load requires a permit and we offer single trip and annual permits.
Permit types and fees:
- Trip Specific Excess Load permit $100.00/load
- Trip Specific Excess Load permit with less than 48 hours’ notice $150.00/load
- Super Load permit $750.00/load
- Annual permit $300.00
- Enhanced Annual permit $1,500.00
Trip Specific Excess Load Permits (Oversize/Overweight):
Required for each load if any dimension is greater than the HTA limits noted above. Trip specific excess load permits may be subject to special provisions and time restrictions.
For more information on reduced load restrictions on certain county roads, explore the interactive map of the reduced load restrictions.
Apply for a trip specific excess load permit *new online application
Annual Excess Overwidth Permit:
Annual permits are valid for the calendar year and allows for up to 3.70m (12’-2”) maximum width. (This permit allows over width privileges only all other dimensions subject to HTA limits above)
Enhanced Annual Excess Overwidth Permit
Enhanced Annual permits are valid for the calendar year and allows for a width exemption up to 4.59m (15’-06”). (This permit allows over width privileges only all other dimensions subject to HTA limits above)
Apply for an annual/enhanced excess width permit *new online application
Pre-trip inspections and escorts
The applicant should check the route before the move to ensure that there are no obstructions. The applicant is responsible for all costs and must arrange for escorts if required.
Minimum Escort Requirements:
- Width 4.00m to 4.59m – 1 private escort required
- Width 4.60m to 4.99m – 2 private escorts required
- Width 5.00m and wider – 2 certified escorts required (Route must be surveyed)
- Length 36.76m to 45.74m – 2 private escorts required (Route must be surveyed)
- 45.75m and longer – 2 certified escorts required (Route must be surveyed)
- 4.50m and higher – 1 private escort (pole car) required. (Route must be surveyed)
Moves Through Roundabout (CR2 at CR4) Requirements:
- Length 36.76m and longer – Certified escorts required at roundabout for traffic control. Moves must be completed between 9:30am and 3:30pm.
- Width 5.00m and wider – Certified escorts required at roundabout for traffic control. Moves must be completed between 9:30am and 3:30pm.
- Width 6.00m and wider – Certified escorts required at roundabout for traffic control. Roads Staff also required on site as traffic sign removal may be required. Roads Staff charges will apply. Moves must be completed between 9:30am and 3:30pm.
We review the proposed routing on each application to ensure the route is suitable. We will recommend re-routing if we have concerns with the proposed route.
See the “Suggested Routes for Oversize Loads” map for preferred routes.
We will put travel time restrictions on large oversize moves at our discretion. Typically the restrictions will be applied to moves in urban areas or through the roundabout to avoid AM/PM peak traffic periods. (Typically moves must be completed between 9:30am and 3:30pm but other restrictions may be applied).
These guidelines are provided for reference only and are subject to change. Carriers are responsible to ensure that they meet all requirements of the Highway Traffic Act.