Lennox and Addington County Museum and ArchivesLennox & Addington County Museum & Archives

97 Thomas Street East, Napanee
T: 613-354-3027

Interested in late-18th to 20th century everyday life? 
Visit the Museum & Archives to learn about everyday historical life in Canada. Themed exhibits tell the story of historical settlements and Lennox and Addington County’s development. History buffs will enjoy scheduled programming and special events as well as amazing  genealogical research opportunities.


Allan Macpherson House

The Allan Macpherson House & Park

180 Elizabeth Street, Napanee
T: 613-354-3027

Half-cousin to first Canadian Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald, Allan Macpherson operated the grist and saw mills at Napanee Falls starting in 1818. For almost three decades, Macpherson was one of Lennox and Addington’s most civic-minded and politically active entrepreneurs. He created fine-quality flour shipped to Montreal and England and became Postmaster at Napanee in 1820. 

Tour Macpherson’s gentry-inspired house, built north of Napanee Falls; it remained in the family until 1896, long after he’d returned to Kingston. In 1962, the Lennox and Addington Historical Society began a visionary labour of love to restore this home to its 19th century character. 


Babcock MillBabcock Mill

100 Bridge Street, Odessa

The Babcock Mill planing mill and basket factory is the last standing mill, of three, at this Odessa historical site. Known for its “Babcock Baskets”, you can see where John Babcock’s designed and patented basket-making machinery in the early 1900s. Built in 1856, this historical three-mill site once included a Woolen Mill (on Factory Street) and a Saw Mill . 


Bath MuseumBath Museum of Loyalist Township

434 Main Street, Bath

Patterned after Roman civic or judicial buildings, see a Tuscan Portico in Canada at the Bath Museum. Known as the Bath Town Hall until 1970, it was constructed in 1861 and had a complete restoration in the early 1980s.  Featuring United Empire Loyalist, WWI and WWII memorabilia and Native artifacts dating back hundreds of years, the museum is owned and operated by the Fairfield-Gutzeit Society. The site is a designated historic property under the Heritage Act.


Cloyne Pioneer MuseumCloyne Pioneer Museum

14238 Highway 41, Cloyne

See 1,000 artifacts, like books, clothing, photos and documents, that illustrate how Lennox and Addington County (and the Cloyne area) evolved from its lumber industry beginnings in the 1850s, through the ups and downs of the mining booms, to the long-held importance of tourism.

If you love Bon Echo Park and Mazinaw Rock you’ll enjoy the growing collection of Bon Echo artifacts, including a 1920 sketch by Merrill Denison. Other exhibits include a reconstruction of a section of the 1850s-era O'Donnell Road schoolhouse. The Pioneer Museum in Cloyne is operated by the Cloyne and District Historical Society.


Fairfield-Gutzeit HouseFairfield-Gutzeit House

341 Main Street, Bath
Tel. 613-352-7414

Discover a beautiful example of early Canada at the the Fairfield-Gutzeit House in the village of Bath. The Georgian-style home is fully furnished according to the Victorian era. Built by brothers William and Benjamin Fairfield in 1796 it is one of the first dwellings built in Ontario on the shores of Lake Ontario.

The home is now owned and cared for by the charitable non-profit Fairfield-Gutzeit Society who offer cultural and historical programs in conjunction with the Royal Ontario Museum.


Fairfield HouseFairfield House

4574 Loyalist Parkway, Amherstview
Tel. 613-384-2813

Love early Canadian architecture? Fairfield House, one of several wood frame structures from the Loyalist era, was built in 1793 by New England Loyalist William Fairfield to strongly reflect his New England background. His family lived there for 6 generations until 1959.  

Fairfield House was named by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada as one of the 250 best examples of Canadian Architecture over the last 1,000 years. Now the property of Loyalist Township, the Fairfield Homestead Heritage Association promotes the preservation of the house and provides guided tours and heritage programming.


Neilson Store Museum.jpgNeilson Store Museum

5220 Front Road, Stella
Tel. 613-634-9512

Take your car or bike on a quaint Lake Ontario ferry ride and arrive at Amherst lsland. The Neilson Store Museum tells the story of the first settlement of 1789, and showcases artifacts collected from one of Canada’s grain merchants, James S. Neilson. Learn about Canada’s historic boats, like the MV Amherst Islander, and see their remnants. Shop the Weasel and Easel fine arts and craft store, housed in the museum, site of Neilson’s General Store.

PS. Don’t leave the island without taking a beautiful self-guided tour of Canada’s largest known collection of dry stone walls - a tradition Irish settlers began and which international participants now continue.


Old Hay Bay ChurchOld Hay Bay Church

2365 South Shore Road, Hay Bay
Tel. 613-767-3100

Did you know that the oldest Methodist building in Canada – and the second oldest church in Ontario – is right here in Hay Bay? Built in 1792 on land donated by Paul Huff, Hay Bay Church was the first meeting house for Loyalists in Ontario. Recognized as a national Canadian historical site, the restored church hosts weddings, special parties, and an annual service on the fourth Sunday of August.

The church is located on the south shore of Hay Bay just off the Loyalist Parkway (Highway 33), a few kilometres from the Glenora Ferry.


United Empire Loyalist Heritage CentreUnited Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

54 Park Road, Adolphustown
Tel. 613-373-2632

Visit the site where the very first United Empire Loyalists arrived in Ontario on June 16, 1784. Camp at the very place where this piece of Ontario history began. The heritage centre, located on the beautiful Adolphus Reach on the Bay of Quinte, also informs on the ancient Cayuga presence in this region.  

Bonus: research your Loyalist genealogical history here too!


War of 1812 Lafarge Discovery CentreWar of 1812 Lafarge Discovery Centre

341 Main Street, Bath
Tel. 613-352-7414

Find out about the American attack on the village during the War of 1812, and enjoy the local tale of warships on the Great Lakes: the flight of the HMS Royal George. Experience early 19th century Bath (called Ernesttown in those days) on the grounds of the 1796 Fairfield-Gutzeit House.