Let's face it, visiting the L&A Dark Sky Viewing Area is always a fun experience. But you can have an even more enjoyable time if you follow this simple list of hints & tips.
These points are meant for first-timers, or those still relatively new to stargazing. We ask that you keep them top of mind during your visit.
Before You Arrive
- Gather your friends and family (stargazing in groups is fun).
- Check our website links for expected viewing condition details.
- Follow us on Facebook to find out about events other things stargazing-related.
- Wear weather appropriate clothing. Even in the summer it can get cool in the evenings.
- Pack your lawn chair (or even better... a zero-gravity chair!)
- Set your GPS to 7980 County Road 41, Erinsville.
- If you plan on setting up a camera or telescope we suggest you get here before it's completely dark (it'll be easier for you to see what you're doing).
When You Get Here
- Turn off your vehicle lights as soon as possible when you enter the parking area.
- Please drive slowly in the parking area and watch for pedestrians.
- Sign our guest book located near the interpretive signage by the viewing platform.
- Apply bug spray (and re-apply if needed).
- Please keep your flashlights in your pocket and away the viewing area. White light (even from phone screens) disrupts the night vision and negatively effects astrophotography. Red light is acceptable.
- Flash photography with your phone doesn't work for astrophotography so don't bother trying.
- If nature calls, there's a portable washroom near the parking lot (May - October).
While You're Here
- Look up!
Before You Leave
- Please, please, please take your garbage/recycling back home with you. There are no receptacles at the DSVA.
- Camping is not permitted at the Dark Sky Area, however, there are several lodging providers close by if you're travelling from a distance.