Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to call Lennox & Addington my home.
Given the nature of my job with the County, it's in my best interest to shout from the rooftops about how great life is here. Don't get me wrong, I really do think that we live in a special place. But recently I had a chance to take a step back and experience our County from a visitor's perspective.
It re-affirmed my belief about how good we've got it here in L&A.
In mid-August I had the pleasure of leading a very talented film crew on a jam-packed, five-day tour of Lennox & Addington County to witness a sampling of some of the amazing experiences here. The whirl-wind tour allowed photographer Laura Bombier and videographer Max Attwood to capture an array of activities that appeal to both current residents and potential visitors to our region. They collected many hours of footage and imagery that will be used to promote Lennox & Addington in a number of upcoming tourism projects.
Laura and Max also followed two tourists - Terrance Pettitt and Serena Hua - as they visited more than 40 different locations across the County. The results will provide viewers with a first-hand look at what they might expect to experience when traveling to L&A.
We can't share the final product with you just yet, but in the meantime we’d like to give you a feel for some of the locations we visited during our five-day adventure. We couldn't get to every cool spot in Lennox Addington (there are so many!), but we think we were able to paint a good picture of some of the amazing places within our borders.
Perhaps this list will inspire you to take your own tour of our special little piece of Eastern Ontario.
Day 1: Water Fun, Shopping, History & Ice Cream
- Exploring the Napanee River… in a power boat, fishing boat, paddleboard & kayak
- Walking the Springside Park Trail
- Experiencing Downtown Napanee
- Having Lunch at The Waterfront River Pub & Terrace
- History at the L&A County Museum
- Enjoying an ice cream at Abram's Bakery
- Skipping stones at Newburgh's Conservation Park
Day 2: Island Life, Boating, Golf & Craft Beer
- Waking up on Amherst Island
- Sheep farming at Foot Flats Farm
- Getting our feet wet at Sand Beach Wetlands Conservation Area
- Visiting the Topsy Farms' Wool Shed
- Searching for Irish Dry Stone Walls
- Exploring Amherstview from above
- Launching from Loyalist Cove Marina
- Kite surfing on Lake Ontario
- Viewing the Fairfield-Gutzeit House from the water
- Having a pint at MacKinnon Brothers Brewing Company
- Hitting some golf balls at Loyalist Country Club
- Walking Main Street in Bath
- Checking out Books on Main
Day 3: Boating, Cycling, History & Stargazing
- Boating, sailing & swimming on Hay Bay
- Viewing history at Old Hay Bay Church
- Cycling on South Shore Road
- Pizza and wine at Bergeron Estate Winery
- Shooting muskets at UEL Park
- Feeding the animals at Hickory Lane Alpacas
- Enjoying dinner at Santorini Mediterranean Grill
- Gazing at the stars at the Dark Sky Viewing Area
Day 4: Exploring Hamlets, Canoeing, Mountain Biking & Camping
- Experiencing downtown Tamworth
- Shopping at Devon Café & Five Corners Craft
- Searching for rare finds at The Book Shop
- Learning about honey at The Bee Spot
- Canoeing and hiking at Sheffield Conservation Area
- Riding the trails at the L&A Forest
- Camping at Bon Echo Provincial Park
Day 5: Paddling, Hiking, Swimming & (more) Ice Cream!
- Canoeing the Mazinaw
- Hiking and Swimming at Joeperry Lake
- Experiencing Cloyne
- Viewing the selection at Milligan Meats
- Enjoying Ice Cream at Finnegan’s General Store
- Kayaking on Skootamatta Lake
Photo credit: Laura Bombier