The Lennox and Addington County Museum is the home of the collections of the Lennox and Addington Historical Society, founded in 1907. Artifacts are selected for their significance to the story of the county and its peoples from prehistoric times to the first tire produced at the Goodyear plant in 1990 and beyond. The rich, local history collection includes prehistoric items, furniture, textiles, clothing and accessories, toys, glass, ceramics, transportation artifacts, advertising ephemera, tools and equipment, household collectables and much, much more.
The artifact inventory (estimated to be 10,000 items) is entered into an automated database.
The Prehistoric Past
Lennox and Addington's prehistoric origins from 7,000 B.C. to the arrival of European explorers are documented. The collection includes projectile points, axes, gouges and other tools.
The first permanent European settlement of southern Lennox and Addington occurred at the end of the 18th century. Americans who took the side of the King were displaced at the end of the American Revolution and were relocated to the Bay of Quinte. A colourful display made possible by the Toronto Branch, United Empire Loyalist Association, recreates the uniforms worn by the Royal Provincials, a militia corps raised to fight alongside the British Regulars.
Post Loyalist Migrations
A pair of pastel portraits circa 1812, an 1820's Empire desk, 1840 communion set and 1850 handwoven shawl, locally crafted chairs are among the artifacts which evoke the lives of the 'late Loyalists', the Irish and other settlers who came to Lennox and Addington.
John Gibbard, cabinetmaker, leased a mill on the canal, Napanee, in 1860. On display is a 'fish and fowl' sideboard (1872) and Renaissance Revival/East Lake style bedroom set (1878) produced by Gibbard and Son.
Glass and China
A generous sampling of imported mid to late nineteenth century wares reflect the taste and economic status of various families in Lennox and Addington. Notable pieces include a Podmore and Walker soup tureen with bud finial, an 1844 tea service and a pair of 1878 Bristol vases.
Also in the collection are archaeological finds from the Herring Glass factory which operated in Napanee from 1881 to 1883 producing window glass. Other whimsical items made at the factory are on display.
Products of local nineteenth and early twentieth century entrepreneurs are evidence of the needs of the rural community. Among the products on view are a Herring fanning mill and cider press, an Ezra Pringle cutter, Daly Tea Company shipping boxes, Wartman Pumps, a J.C. Connolly democrat, and a Boyle and Son model cheese vat. The stitching machines, polishers and a miscellany of tools used in the Keech Harness Shop in Enterprise from 1870-1970 are also on display during the summer months.
John Stevenson, the first warden of the County of Lennox and Addington, manufactured square grand and upright pianos, two of which are in the Museums collection.
The War Years
Changing displays reflect the role that citizens of Lennox and Addington played in various conflicts. A special item from the Second World War is the bell from the flower-class corvette, HMCS Napanee.
Special Exhibitions and Events
Periodic theme exhibits provide an opportunity to see and enjoy other artifacts from the permanent collection. Guest exhibitions are arranged as available. Watch the Special Exhibitions and Events page for updates about Museum activities.