The Town of Greater Napanee is a warm and welcoming community – a colourful patchwork quilt which joins landscape and people from: the sparkling waters of the Bay of Quinte; bountiful waterfront orchards and wineries; family farms and historical sites; the quaint, urban town centre; and the peaceful, rural countryside, dotted with cosy hamlets.
The Town of Greater Napanee was established on January 1, 1998, as a result of the amalgamation of the Townships of Richmond, North Fredericksburgh, South Fredericksburgh and Adolphustown.
Adolphustown was the site of the earliest landing of the United Empire Loyalists in 1784 and led the province in the establishment of many of its most important institutions – courts, municipal government and churches. Adolphustown was named for Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge, tenth son of King George III who was the ruling British monarch at the time of the Loyalist migration. In 1824, at the age of nine, Canada’s first Prime Minister John A. Macdonald moved to the third concession of Adolphustown with his family.
While farmers were gradually opening up the township lands, a larger, more urban group was migrating to the falls of the Napanee River. The earliest beginnings of the town were in 1786 with the arrival of mill owner Robert Clark. In 1792, Richard Cartwright arrived and his operations included a distillery, sawmill, and wool processing mill. He also became a justice of the peace, magistrate and elected member of the legislature. In 1812, Allan Macpherson moved from Kingston and established a general store, sawmill and distillery. By 1826, he had built a two-storey Georgian mansion across the river. Macpherson (“The Laird of Napanee”) was well-connected and the “Macpherson House” became a social focal point drawing visitors from near and far, including young lawyer, John A. Macdonald. Napanee’s development was influenced by a number of outstanding individuals, including David Roblin (businessman, Reeve, Warden, MLA) and John Gibbard. In 1856, the Grand Trunk railway arrived and the Town Hall was built.
As we enter the new millennium the municipality is home to a number of significant industries including the Lennox Generating Station and the Goodyear Tire manufacturing facility. The Town of Greater Napanee is replete with artisan studios, unique shops and eateries; an impressive recreational complex (the Strathcona Paper Centre), a state of the art community hospital, lovely libraries, stately Victorian “Napanee brick” homes and bustling new subdivisions. It has gained renown as one of Ontario’s prettiest towns (Harrowsmith Magazine).
Town of Greater Napanee Maps
Town of Greater Napanee
Detailed Map of Napanee